Here’s a karaoke competition with a difference. I need help to find a song to feature in a karaoke scene at the end of my second novel, which — fingers crossed — I’ll have a title for by this time next week. (That’s me with my advance cheque from Text on the right: how sweet it is to be paid to write).
I had a song in mind but unfortunately fell 18.75% short of the 100% rights I needed to publish the lyrics. Despite my best efforts — and the help of agents in Australia and the Netherlands — I just couldn’t get all the ducks lined up. It seems different companies can own shares in the same song; in this case, one company owned a 62.5% share and another owned the remaining 37.5%, which in turn was managed by branches in two different countries. One branch said yes, the other said no. Them’s the breaks I guess.
I’m finding it hard to re-imagine the scene without the song I’ve chosen, so I’m running a competition to find an alternative. The person who comes up with the best suggestion will be acknowledged in the new book, receive a free signed copy upon publication (release date Sept 2010), and have the option of naming a character in the next novel. Here are the criteria:
- The lyrics need to be in English.
- The song needs to be romantic/heroic in sentiment, along the lines of I’d climb mountains/cross deserts/slay dragons/die for you (you get the idea).
- It must have been released before 1997.
- It must have been popular at the time and well known around the world – nothing obscure.
- It needs to be something a man would sing to a woman.
- No theme songs from films.
- Preference will be given to songs where one company owns 100% publishing rights; bonus points if you find out who owns the copyright.
- Competition closes 10 pm next Wed 27 Jan 2010.
Entries should be left as comments at the bottom of this post. First in, best dressed (i.e. don’t suggest a song that someone else has already nominated). Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Bribing me by leaving nice bottles of wine on the doorstep won’t work but is worth a try.